Initial Licensing Phase
- Drivers Ages 16-17
- Parental Consent — A driver age 16-17 must have the written consent of a parent/legal guardian to obtain a driver’s license. The parent/legal guardian who gave initial consent
- Nighttime driving restrictions — Sun.-Thurs., 10 p.m.-6 a.m.; Fri.-Sat., 11 p.m.-6 a.m. (local curfews may differ).
- Must maintain a conviction-free driving record for six months prior to turning 18. A traffic conviction during the Initial Licensing Phase may extend restrictions beyond age 18.
- For the first 12 months of licensing, or until the driver turns 18, whichever occurs first, the number of passengers is limited to one person under age 20, unless the passenger(s) is a sibling, stepsibling, child or stepchild of the driver. After this period, the number of passengers is limited to one in the front seat and the number of safety belts in the back seat.
- Any wireless/cellphone use while driving, including a hands-free device, is prohibited for a driver under age 19, except in the case of an emergency to contact a law enforcement agency, health care provider or emergency services agency.